Monday, April 20, 2009

The "Rolls-Royce" of mattresses

I wonder if my insurance will pay for, or partially pay for, a new mattress.

I have had a sore shoulder and neck now for a few months. Can't turn my head to the right very far. I know it is because I only have two sleeping positions; right side or back. I wind up on my right side much of the time because I've never been a back sleeper. I resort to going on my back because you can't stay in one position all night. At least, I can't. There are people on my Yahoo list that only have one sleeping position after NF, so I should consider myself lucky.

For two years now I've had this problem, and the shoulder/neck soreness has just been a few months. Around the time it started, I tried a new pillow- one of those super-ergonomic deals curved to fit the neck. Hurt my neck even more. After a week trial period, I switched back to the squishy normal pillows most people use.

Anyway, I had a few errands to do today, and I wandered into a mattress store, just to see what is out there. My mattress has been uncomfortable for me since the time I got home after the NF surgeries. I use lots of pillows, and have made due. With a sleeping pill (or a half) every night, of course.

I laid down on some of the beds there, of all price ranges. Many were already nicer than my bed (which is only 7 years old), but there was this one, of course, the Rolls Royce of the mattress company, that was soooooooo goooooooood. I almost fell asleep right there in the store in one minute flat. I went to the others and compared, and there was a noticeable difference from this one. This mattress was *amazing*. I turned over on my side and it felt huggy and comfortable for my sore shoulder. I began to wonder if it could help me get off sleeping pills.

But, I'd have to remortgage the house to buy it. Practically, anyway. Seven years ago when we bought our mattresses (as a gift from my parents), the combined price for the two of them was less by *half* of what one mattress costs for this one I fell in love with. [Robert is fine keeping his present mattress.] I am now wondering if I have any benefits available to me because of my disability status to have some or all of a new mattress paid for. Wouldn't that be great? I'm going to call our insurance dude.

I feel spoiled to even be thinking about spending lots of money for a high class mattress when there are many other more pressing things we need; house painted, some improvement for our garden area (anything is an improvement), a 'pergola' [wooden slatted structure for the roof of the porch] and a few other home improvement things. The paint job is pretty urgent, though, in order to avoid damage to the house. Actually, it's probably the same price as the mattress.

And today I had an eye test at the optometrist. I hadn't had one for 6 years. I had noticed that things weren't as clear as they should be, but when Peter (my brother) was here, he was reading road signs from the car that I couldn't even begin to see. My prescription changed quite a bit, not surprisingly. So, I ordered new glasses. Also not a small expense.

Anyway, the new mattress would only be in the case of insurance paying for it (or a good part of it), as a result of my surgeries. I guess it wouldn't be worth asking them if I can get a house painting job, though, would it. :-)

On the diagnosis front, still no word from Ichilov. I have to call tomorrow anyway for something else, so I'll also see what's up with the progress there.

1 comment :

  1. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! comfortbilt pellet stove

    ReplyDelete