Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The sacred second chance

Got a new Kindle in America!
It's awesome!! (love my purple cover for it -->)

I was clicking around the "new releases" area for Kindle books, and I saw a book that intrigued me. It is called "The Art of Falling". Here it is with it's description:
The Art of Falling

The Art of Falling

One wrong step could send her over the edge.

All Penny has ever wanted to do is dance—and when that chance is taken from her, it pushes her to the brink of despair, from which she might never return. When she wakes up after a traumatic fall, bruised and battered but miraculously alive, Penny must confront the memories that have haunted her for years, using her love of movement to pick up the pieces of her shattered life.

Kathryn Craft’s lyrical debut novel is a masterful portrayal of a young woman trying to come to terms with her body and the artistic world that has repeatedly rejected her. The Art of Falling expresses the beauty of movement, the stasis of despair, and the unlimited possibilities that come with a new beginning.

Why am I blogging about this book? Because, for some reason, when I heard an interview with the author, she spoke about the concept of a "second chance", as in her character getting a second chance after surviving her 14-storey fall. It clicked with me that I, too, was given a second chance by surviving NF. I know that sounds like "duh, Sarah, I knew that for like what... six years now? Where've you been? Of course you were granted a second chance!

Well, my "a-ha" moment just happened now, on a deeper level than before.

"Second Chance".
I have heard the words, intellectually accepted the words, but never realized what it feels to internalize them for myself. Not everyone gets to live their lives knowing that they are presently living their second chance. Only today I realized that.

Added to that, the main character of this book also has to leave a profession in the preforming arts (ballet dancing) as a result of her fall.

I relate with her struggles with her body after the accident, and not being able to dance. I haven't read the book yet, (although I pre-ordered it to my Kindle :), but the concept of the new beginning that is hinted at for this ballerina captivates me. Hopefully will inspire me. Will I ever play professionally again?
Or at all again?

Second chances. I'm using my second chance for my third career -->

I am presently in the process of another on-line course about getting your book written. I am on the second class. (I haven't completed the assignment for the first class yet, it is slow going- good thing I'm not in a rush). I took a 5-part course with this talented woman about six months back, and was very inspired. She puts it out on the net free for anyone, so it is really accessible. This book... my book... the story of my second chance. What is it's soul? What is it really about? Who is it for?

Reading about and hearing about second chances inspires me.
My book is going to be other people being inspired reading about my second chance.

It's so awesome to write. I get to untangle my thoughts and put them to sleep for the night.
And, on that note... good night!

11 comments :

  1. So great to see your upbeat entry. And the writing course sounds awesome. What is this woman's name? I'm home today (Tuesday). I'd love to hear from you when you wake up! :-) Coffee?

    Love, Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah, I'd also love to find out more about the on line course. Hi Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, I never thought the words "Second Chance" when I thought of you and your situation. I knew it was a gift that you were still here, but I hadn't really thought it was a "second chance." I think of second chances as something you get when you failed the first time round. You didn't fail (and it sounds like the girl in the book didn't either), so to me it's a little stretch to say this is a "second chance." But on the other hand, I get that even if you have a wonderful "first" time, that knowing it was almost taken away does give you the "second" chance to just focus yourself more on what is really important. Your husband, your children, and of course not least, your God. And your writing, or whatever your hearts calls you to do. So ok, I've talked myself into it, it's a "Second Chance". And I wish you all health and happiness your "second time" around. May everything get worked out health-wise, so you can continue moving forward. :-)

    Hugs, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for your inspiration and for the link to inspirational writing I am in the process of writing my 2nd book and it is taking me years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you wrote a book, no less are working on the second one. What do you write about?

      Delete
    2. I didn't know you wrote a book, no less are working on the second one. What do you write about?

      Delete
    3. The book I put out 8 years ago is a professional book called
      תזונה בריאה וטעימה
      not just a cookbook (that too) but with explanations about wholesome nutrition, lots of theory and menus based on the recipes for various situations - diseases, pregnancy, holidays etc.
      It is in Hebrew and I got stuck quite a while ago trying to translate in into English.

      Delete
    4. The second one I'm writing now is somewhat more spiritual with my insights on the Jewish cycles and how they coincide with Nature's cycles and my own personal and professional experience (actually thanks for the excuse to define it)

      Delete
    5. You're welcome!!!! It sounds like it's going to be a good read. I'd love to see it when you get it finished.... and yes, I know that can be a completely undefinable time period.....

      Delete
  5. It's funny, I never thought the words "Second Chance" when I thought of you and your situation. I knew it was a gift that you were still here, but I hadn't really thought it was a "second chance." I think of second chances as something you get when you failed the first time round. You didn't fail (and it sounds like the girl in the book didn't either), so to me it's a little stretch to say this is a "second chance." But on the other hand, I get that even if you have a wonderful "first" time, that knowing it was almost taken away does give you the "second" chance to just focus yourself more on what is really important. Your husband, your children, and of course not least, your God. And your writing, or whatever your hearts calls you to do. So ok, I've talked myself into it, it's a "Second Chance". And I wish you all health and happiness your "second time" around. May everything get worked out health-wise, so you can continue moving forward. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, second chances. Interestingly, I never thought of it as you presented it... like someone gets a second chance because they messed up their first one. Truth is, like I have written about frequently (but not recently) is that on some level I *do* feel like I messed up the first time around. I wasn't good to my kids- screamed at them a lot- and they were sooo young. I had no patience because I was working two careers so constantly, I had no time to even appreciate who they are as people. I was a traffic cop- "Dov- get into the shower", Ya'akov, why aren't your shoes on", "Shifra you got it all over yourself! I don't have time for this mess!" And on and on. Babysitters all the time instead of mommy at bedtime because i was always out either with someone else's baby, or performing. My second chance came about when Gd told me that I cannot plan another baby until I see the souls of the ones He gave me. After the NF, I couldn't have another baby. That was Gd's way of sparing me more heartbreak if I were to continue on the path I was on. I got to STOP and stay at home. I got to put my kids to sleep, or be present for them consistently. Gd knew what I needed, and He gave me a second chance to accomplish it. So, in that way, this *is* very much a second chance.
      I am not berating myself at all. I am very much at peace with it, and even grateful for the personal attention and love I feel from God.

      Delete