Monday, July 6, 2009

Pain Control

I didn't call the pain clinic today. I honestly don't know what is hanging me up about it. Any ideas?

What I did get from talking with my new GP about it yesterday is this:

Call the pain clinic and get another opinion, or go with her suggestion:

She suggested I go on Oxycontin, which is like Percocet, but only twice a day instead of every 4 hours. She suggested that if I want that route, I have to slowly get my body used to Percocet again. Last month I started taking the Percocet more often because the pain was increasing. BUT, I started having really adverse reactions, like nausea, dizziness, and general body icky feelings (very scientific, I know) So, I decided to stop taking the Percocet, and just having pain with no relief, in exchange for no other side effects.

But you know what? The pain is getting worse. Yesterday and today seem like the disease is up a notch, and my leg hurts more, and I have to limp in order to avoid too much hip movement. Sleeping is a challenge waking up in the middle of the night a few times every night, trying to move into a new position, and it just hurts so much (but, my new mattress is a slice of heaven, thankfully!). I want to start giving myself a break from the pain, it is too hard to be available for life when the body hurts.

So, my GP suggested that I get my body used to Percocet every 4 hours. First, take a half pill every four hours for 4 days, then go up to a full pill starting with the night dose, then go backwards (from evening) with the full pill dose until all the doses are a full pill. Then, she can know exactly how much I am taking, and match that with a prescription for Oxycontin which is only twice a day. Much easier to deal with. It's basically getting my body addicted to "opioid analgesic medication" (like the morphine family, but not as strong), in order to have pain control without the side effects. Then switch to a longer-acting form of the same thing, and life will be easier.

Sounds logical, even if I am going to have the surgery. This way I won't have to go through the nausea stage of pain control directly after surgery.

I guess it is the "toxic" body feeling I am trying to avoid. It is psychological. But having constant pain is no way to live. Acupuncture, perhaps? I just doubt it would work. But ya never know.
I know I should really call the pain clinic; they have acupuncture as an option there.

Maybe I'll call tomorrow.... after my hydrotherapy. :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment