Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Schedule

My parents are here, and there is a lot of mutual enjoyment going on around here with the kids and them! My mother walks with a cane, also; we are quite a pair together. My father is getting a complex about his effect on the women in his life...

We took a drive today to Rechovot to the Science park at the Weizmann center. It was a very hot, but fun trip. But, as we were driving, I felt my hip go numb sort of. It was a strange feeling, but not pain. It was like a nerve shut down or something. When we finally arrived and parked, I got out of the van and my hip collapsed under me; I fell in a slump sort of- it was very wierd. It recovered very quickly, but I really hope I don't get that effect again. Anyway, surgery next week. Hopefully I'll finally be out of the woods.

So, abut the surgery... a few people have asked me about the timeline, so I'll write what I know here.

Tuesday the 4th of August: check into the hospital in the early morning to get my first dose of IV antibiotics. Stay all day for a few more doses, and blood tests.
Wednesday the 5th: Surgery. I don't know what time it will be. I will be fasting from the night before, so I hope it's in the morning, but there is no way to know until it happens.

I was told to expect being in the hospital in total for about a week (from Tuesday). That is why I thought about having someone stay with me over that Shabbat. I did actually get a couple of offers, which made me so happy, but it turns out that my parents decided to stay in Tel Aviv for the Shabbat as well. So I won't be alone that Shabbat, but I would still love to see S.B. (write me an email, OK?) and who ever else may want to come around!

So anyway, I expect to get home on either Monday or Tuesday (10th or 11th).

I have read a few people's reports of how they were after their arthroscopic synovectomies, and it sounds like I can expect about a month of pain/ discomfort, and a few more months until I feel completely fine again. I read some people's accounts that were not very positive at all, but I choose not to dwell on them.

(And just to keep with the scheduling motif, Azriel's tonsillectomy is set for August 20th).

Tisha B'av is coming tomorrow evening. May we all have a meaningful day, and may this be the last time Hashem must hear our mourning.

2 comments :

  1. Wish I could just pop in and see you on Shabbat. I remember those quiet times with you in Soroka on Friday afternoon as Shabbat was descending. So glad to think it will only be one Shabbat! and that you'll have the company of your parents (and the long-distance love of all of us!).

    The fast of Tisha B'Av is almost over. There was a good "movie" at shul today of two lectures on why the Temple was destroyed. One of the speakers described the differences in how Avraham, Isaac and Yaakov aproached God. Avraham as if Hashem was a mountain, beautiful to look at but distant. Isaac, as if a field, where there was give and take, and more immediacy. Yaakov, as if a ladder with the rungs leading up to our bayit with Hashem. He then expounded on how we've lost the connection with Hashem's house, and it was a painful, yet hopeful shiur.

    I had a thought about the mountain. When I took the boys this week to the colored sands in the Machteah Hagadol, I realized at some point that I couldn't hear or see them. And that to fnd them I'd have to climb the "mountain" nearest me to get a better look-out. It seemed like such a high hill, but as I got closer and started climbing, the ascent was not as steep as I had expected, nor was the difficulty insurmountable. I was scared of not finding the boys, but Dovie heard me yelling, and they started heading back towards the hill and the car. And once I had located them, I could relax. The view from the top of this big hill was astounding. Desert as far as the eye could see, hews of brown and beige, hills rolling endlessly outwards. The mountain might be difficult to climb, a distant goal, but there can be a meeting with Hashem once we've reached the top.

    I pray your surgery goes well and smoothly, and that we greet you at the top of the mountain!

    Love, Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sare, we'll be thinking and davening for you on those dates... please give our love to Mr. and Mrs. Kashin!

    xxxxooooo
    devorah
    :-)

    ReplyDelete