Thursday, September 24, 2009

Doctor visit today

This is the thing; I felt much better the first week after the surgery than I do now. Until yesterday, I felt OK- stable- with pain, but not too bad.
Then out-of-the-blue... *BOOM* I can't even stand up anymore, or hold a cup to drink, or a fork, or chew- it all took too much energy.

We didn't go to a doctor yesterday, we felt it wasn't an emergency. Today Robert took me to my GP. She took one look at me (pale) and said my hemoglobin (iron) is probably low. I told her what has been going on, and she wasn't alarmed. She knew me, and knew I wasn't taking it easy enough. Reminding me it is major surgery, and so on...
My blood pressure is pretty low- 90/60. Not worrisome-ly low, but I gotta take better care of myself. Eat (I haven't had much appetite), drink more, and keep the pain under control so I can rest as well as possible. And about that, I told her that the Percocet isn't really covering the pain, and I wake many times at night in pain. Her response was "you're not sleeping, that is a big source of this crash". She prescribed for me the morphine I had in the hospital- "Oxycod" which worked so well.

It took 45 minutes at the pharmacy to get the medicine. Robert was waiting on line there, and I was trying to rest in the car with the a/c on and my favorite disk of Louis Armstrong on the radio, but it was so long to wait. In retrospect he should've dropped me off at home first, but who knew the wait would be so long? There is only *one* pharmacy in all Be'er Sheva that sells narcotic medicines.

We got home, I took the medicine, ate a bit, and went to rest. A wonderful friend who is a great vegetarian cook brought over a beautiful plate of healthy food for me, and is happy to bring home-made whole wheat challot for Shabbat tomorrow. Thank you, H!

I am now in bed. My doctor said she doesn't care if I sleep all day, I need rest. She said take as much medicine necessary to alleviate the pain. And drink a lot more than I have been. She will do a blood test next week, two weeks after surgery.

On the way out of the health clinic, we ran into our pediatrician (DrB), who was also on her way out. She also said I should check my iron levels. She told us about her daughter who broke her leg and needed surgery to set it. DrB said that her daughter was really doing well after surgery, and she went back to school on the fourth day. Then about the 9th or 10th day after she broke her leg, she crashed like I did now. Complete and total crash, couldn't even hold herself up. I was a bit relieved to hear that, so I don't have to feel so responsible for this turn of events.

OK, I'm getting to the point that I have to stop typing and just veg out. Fall asleep, hopefully. I took the Oxycod 20 minutes ago, and thankfully I am starting to feel the pain release from my hip.

It's going to be a quiet Shabbat, please Gd. But, Robert does need help. He won't ask, though. If anyone wants to come play with the kids tomorrow afternoon, or take them out a bit with bikes to a park, or come and cook a bit, we wouldn't refuse you!

No comments :

Post a Comment