Sunday, September 27, 2009

This just in...

Robert just called my doctor; I asked him to. I just wanted to know for sure about the fasting thing. It just feels not quite right to outright eat, when I am not sick, perse, and my surgery was 2 weeks ago. I asked him actually to call our Rav (Rabbi), and tell him my whole circumstances and then ask what he thinks. The Rav wasn't available, so R called my doctor to get her exact opinion on the issue (she is religious, and familiar with all the different types of fasting for the sick and elderly).

She (my doctor) said I could start out fasting, she feels it is OK. If I feel too weak, or sickly, then drink in "shiurim" (a little water every so often; 20 mins? hour +1/2? I don't remember, we'll ask our Rav. I did it 4 years ago after Azriel's birth- also two weeks after surgery [cesarean]). And depending how that goes, I could start eating in shiurim if I feel that's what's needed.

I pray for the clarity to know what I need and when. Giving me the 'if you feel this way or that...' such that I need to know how feel when, feels vague. It is the situation that I'd have to know if I need to drink or not, nobody is going to tell me. When I was after cesarean with Azriel, our Rav gave clear directions about what to do. Well, anyway, the Rav hasn't gotten back to us yet. Maybe he will give clear instructions instead of leaving it to me.

Not fasting on Yom Kippur seems so radical, and I don't feel like I am in the "radical" category. I have decided, by doing this writing, that I want clear directions from my Rav. I will tell him what my doctor said, as well, of course.

In the end may everyone have a G'mar chatima tova, and a meaningful Yom Kippur, however you need to honor it. May Hashem see fit to hear all our prayers, and answer them in the way that we'll know the answer is from Gd.

1 comment :

  1. Gmar Chatima tova my friend Sarah. I love you! And I know you are on the right path to healing. May you find peace in your actions and rest in your restful room. Love to kids and Robert, too!
    Love, Miriam

    ReplyDelete