Monday, November 16, 2009

"You have to rest more", her doctor tells her...

Thanks to all the wonderful people who called today to check up on me. It was one of those days that I felt like Something Bad was going to happen, and hearing from friends was really reassuring.

Thank Gd, it doesn't seem bad. My doctor said that if I am keeping food down (when I do eat a bit- like the small bowl of noodles for one whole day), and there is no obstruction in... ummm... the plumbing, then it isn't an emergency. I think nausea is one of those things that if you are not pregnant, or obviously sick, doctors don't understand.

I was so relieved that she didn't suggest anything radical (like the ER). She ordered all the blood tests that Dr. Litman listed, and said we'll go from there. She suggested that there may be some liver problems (temporary?) from all the meds I have been on. I have been on lots of stuff- pain killers, hard narcotic and otherwise (spanning 8 months or so?), 2 surgeries with general anesthesia in 7 weeks, and lots of strong IV antibiotics. She didn't feel that the symptoms of nausea and loss of appetite raise any red flags, considering all that. She told me to rest more. She herself has 6 kids. I looked at her in that "yeah, right" kind of way. I'll get right on that one.

On the bright(er?) side, she seemed enthusiastic about Dr. Litman. (Doctor of Orthomolecular medicine with whom I consulted last week; his [still under construction] website is here). She had never heard of him, and her interest was piqued by the unusual blood tests he ordered. I'm so glad she is open-minded to alternative medical thinking. Not all kupat cholim doctors are like that.

It is now almost 1am here, and I need to get myself to sleep. Blood tests tomorrow morning, then *home to rest*. Why is it that even when I have a babysitter all afternoon I *still* wind up doing a ton of stuff, going up & down stairs (still hurts from the thigh tumor surgery 2 months ago), and feeling wiped out?
(Also this afternoon there was the "glasses emergency"; Shifra had stepped on hers yesterday, and cannot see much without them, Dov also gave me his to get a nose-pad replaced, Ya'akov needed his adjusted, so I had to go to the optician at 5pm... not a great time for me energy-wise. But who else can do that type of stuff? It is mommy work, especially when daddy has to work hard at his jobs.)

Good night... now I have just to get myself out of this comfy chair to wash up and go to bed...

No comments :

Post a Comment