Saturday, December 12, 2009

"I get by with a little help from my firends"

I played soccer with Ya'akov today! Rather spontaneous, and it was really fun, for him as well as for me. I got both older boys new soccer balls for Chanukah, and Ya'akov challenged me to a game, one-on-one. I almost said no, but found myself trying instinctively to steal the ball from under his foot, so I was in. I wasn't going to let a little pain stop me this time.
I was in the lead for a while, but he got the advantage and caught up at the end and won. It was a pretty small "field"- our neighbor's garden & driveway, where we ate Shabbat lunch today.

It was a very good Shabbat all together, actually.

First, I want to say that for the second week in a row my friend took down my shopping list and did shopping for me on Friday. Delivered it right to the door. I hope she realizes how much that has meant to me- shopping is something that Robert does, and it is very physically draining for me. An extraordinary deed, from an extraordinary friend. :-)

On Friday afternoon, a different friend came over so I could get a rest- and boy did I need it. That was great. She supervised the whole lunch hour, and did some desperately needed projects around here, also. When she left, I wanted to stay in bed a bit more, and Dov got everyone in & out of the bath and dressed for Shabbat. I told him that the more efficient it goes, the earlier we have for the first candle of Chanukah, and presents. It went smoothly. :-) Pretty sly of me, eh?

We lit the menorahs for the first night, and it was so special, except that abba was missing. (:-/) Everyone lights their own here, and that makes the windowsill so beautiful. And the gifts were a hit, I was pleased with that.

Friday night I decided to have a quiet meal at home with the kids instead of going out to be hosted. We all needed to get to sleep early. We were blessed with the gift of a big pot of chicken soup brought over by our neighbors (who are also our good friends). Also other friends brought over (by surprise) a pot of tomato/cabbage soup, so I had a veggie soup, also. Angels.... our friends. Again, I reiterate, pure angels.

Shabbat morning, Wazi woke me up at 6:20; he had a bad dream. Then we had to do the whole bathroom thing (of course), then finally we got into bed (my bed) at 6:45 to snooze a bit. Soon thereafter I heard stirrings downstairs, and then Shifra also wanted to climb into bed with me. Are they thinking- "it's a big bed without abba, gotta fill in that space!", or do they just feel Robert's presence missing and need the extra TLC because of that? I do like it, though, seeing their sleepy-eyed puffy faces showing up, right in my face, for me to see, at the first narrow crack of my own puffy eyes. I just wish I didn't have to actually expend *energy*, but that goes with the package, doesn't it. I think we all need some extra TLC, so it works out mutually beneficial.

I did get back to sleep after the two little ones went downstairs to have breakfast. Then, just like last Shabbat, Dov decided to go to shul (synagogue), and he took whomever wanted to join him. Only Ya'akov stayed home to play marbles while I slept. I feel a little bad about them going to shul alone, but it is Be'er Sheva on Shabbat morning, in my very safe neighborhood, and Dov is very responsible. I spoke to the kids about it before last Shabbat, and everyone was clear about how to stay with Dov. There is only one very small street to cross, anyway. Once at shul, there is the whole community keeping eyes on them, B"H. Decision making is very different when one is "single" parenting. There are fewer options when that parent needs to get rest.

I woke up just in time to get to our hosts' house for Shabbat lunch. Our hosts were the same neighbors who provided the wonderful pot of chicken soup the day before.

Their house was full with all their (5) boys home from Yeshiva and army, and also the new bride of one of the sons. It was such an honor to be there with them- it is rare that all their kids are home at once, and they chose to share it with us. My kids love it there- they have good toys, a ping-pong table, lots of good food and- most important of all- good desserts.

Shabbat meals are so special, especially when there is a lot of good, strong, soul-felt singing. This particular family really likes to sing at the Shabbat table. And with the 5 boys and a robust-voiced father, the dining room sounded like the dining hall full of yeshiva boys. I *loved* it, it brought the family spirit and Shabbat spirit together, and I felt that combination as a gift from Hashem, raising my own spirits. They did a song that Robert loves, from his yeshiva days (R- HaShomer Shabbat), and it is still going on in my head at this moment. I was singing it around the house here while I was giving dinner and straightening up after Shabbat, and it helped everyone- the kids & me- feel in great spirits through the whole evening. And, of course, lighting the menorahs and getting presents didn't hurt, either. It was a really happy, laughing, light-hearted evening here. I felt like I had more than enough goodness to give.

When was the last time I said that?

2 comments :

  1. Happy Chanukah Sare!
    What a mensch you're raising! It's such a pleasure when our kids start to be old enough to really help and lead each other. Kol HaKavod to Dov.
    LOL and wishing you continued strength.
    XXXOOO
    Dev and Mishpacha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chanukah! I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well. What an awesome brother and son Dov is to take siblings to shul. It's also awesome to have friends who will help you when you really need them.

    ReplyDelete