Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dreams in the wind

A battered children's drawing was found on our walkway.
The rain and hail had beaten holes in it, but it was dry when we saw it hanging from a thin branch of a bush.
It was drawn by Shifra and Azriel together. They were with us when we discovered it, and they proudly exclaimed their combined effort.

When we asked how it got outside, this was the explanation:

They wanted to send Grandpa Dolph a picture.
They created it together, and put it on the outer walkway.
The hope was that the wind would carry it to the heavens,
and deliver it to their grandpa,
where he could see it, hold it, and love them for it.

Today is the thirtieth day after his passing. It is a milestone in Jewish tradition. A step in the mourning process. The fact that it is a milestone brings us closer, more conscious... if only the wind could carry love.

5 comments :

  1. wow!So sweet-and so moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. out of the mouths of babes !
    may they continue to be so caring
    shlomit

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post brought tears to my eyes. You should try to get it included in an anthology related to grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, this post totally confused me.

    at first, I thought "how could you know the picture was drawn by 'battered children'"?

    Then I saw that your kids drew it, and I wondered why you thought they were "battered."

    Only half way through did I realize you were referring to a "battered drawing."

    LOL!!

    Once I figured it out, I realized how sweet the post was. But at first I was a bit worried about you all.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My granddaughter shared a birthday with my father, her great-grandfather. They celebrated his ninetieth and her sixth birthday together two years ago. He died a few days after his 91st birthday. On her 8th birthday this year, on her own initiative, she got a helium balloon and wrote a message on it to her Grandpa--hoping that he was "doing good" and saying "if you were here it would be your birthday." She too let it go to the wind. Children's simplicity in their grieving and remembering can teach us all.

    ReplyDelete