Thursday, April 22, 2010

Looking at Israel and seeing my own reflection

In 1994 when I made my first trip to Israel, I spent some time with a friend from high school who was learning Hebrew here. My impressions of the country were confusing at first. When I was talking with my friend about it (Dev- do you remember this conversation?), I asked her what is this country really about-- is it a political entity, or a religious entity, or what? She said yeah, that is what it's all about over here. It's everyone's personal entity, and all of them are true for some of the people some of the time. It took me a while to understand this country and what it means *for me*.

That's a bit like where I'm at with the blog. Which category do I see myself? Healthy or sick? On which day?

Three births last week, and 4 post-natal hospital or home visits. An extraordinary amount of work for *anyone*. I did that. I suffered one migraine in that time, too, and took meds for my thigh pain which is back more than I am comfortable with. Is it because of overworking? Or is it a thing of PVNS coming back... Healthy or sick? I also got a referral for a neurologist to look into the migraine issue. Physiologically or psychologically based (stress- related)? Both, again, I assume.

This week has been a lot of *tired*. We had Israeli Independence day on Tuesday, and we traveled to friends and family for our yearly bar-b-q. Had a great time, and I also stole away and lied down for an hour or so in my friend's guest room. Not so unusual.

I haven't written in a while because I don't feel a flow, a need to write about my stuff. I wonder if you really want to see any more of my stuff. I don't get much feedback any more, so I wonder.

Some stuff just from today:
Put a call into my orthopedist to get a letter to renew my handicapped parking permit. He said if the letter I got 3 months ago wasn't sufficient, he won't write another one. Final. So then I called one of the orthopedic surgeons who did my arthroscopy in September. I'll have to wait till Tuesday to talk to him and hopefully get the letter from him.

Do I need the permit? Not all the time but yes for some of the time. I still have daily pain of varying degrees. Healthy or sick?

Then I went to my GP to get the referral for the neurologist, and also a referral for surgery to fix the big hernia (stomach wall, about 6 inches) together with the gyn surgery I need. I now have the referral, but am ambivalent about making the appointment and following through with a scary surgery in the gapey zone.
I could go to my grave (at a ripe old age, that is) with the hernia and not doing the gyn surgery. Or the reconstruction, for that matter. But when I feel healthy and strong, I am sure I want this quality of life improvement. But it'll set me back like surgery always does. Can I deal with that? Don' wanna. But is it worth it in the long run?

Healthy or sick... somewhere in the middle. Ideally I'd like to sum it up with: rest when I need to, work just a little (one birth a month, or a concert series every now & then), confidently decide to repair things with my body that would make for an easier life, and take it all with faith that my decisions are right just by virtue of them being my decisions.

But like the ambiguous definition of modern Israel, post-NF Sarah is having a hard time defining herself.

Healthy or sick? Yes.

5 comments :

  1. I'm still listening!

    I think everyone has to deal with that balancing act; it feels so strange to you because now you have been pulled far away from what used to be your equilibrium point. Even as you find your new balance, it feels strange and almost unnatural.

    I have faith that you can be where you are, though. Does that make sense? You'll know what to do and when.

    Beth from oct98

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do continue your blog, but at the pace you're most comfortable with. I really want to know how you're doing. You're an inspiration, to a lot of people, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I really enjoy reading your blog, but don't always comment much. Sorry! You are still an inspiration for me, and I feel for you in your struggles. Even without the healthy/sick question, I struggle to keep balance in my life with personal/work commitments, spending time with my husband, time with the kids. So while I know I don't understand all of your struggles, I do identify with a lot of your dilemmas and it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read you all the time Sare, because I really love you and care. Please don't stop your blog.

    I think you and your friends summed it up nicely... we're all striving for balance, and that balance point shifts at different points in our lives. Our kids grow bigger, different needs need to be met at different times. Consistent self-evaluation is the key to meeting our physical and spiritual needs.

    Do you really need a label for yourself? Honestly, I would like one too, but a one-word identity label doesn't do justice to the whole person inside. Self-confidence about our spiritual selves and our internal or external accomplishments, however small or unseen in the eyes of others, may be more fulfilling and necessary than labeling ourselves.

    Perhaps our loving husbands, B"H, can help us. Let's take their perspective... B"H, and BAHR, Robert loves you with his whole heart, and is your best friend. Can you try to see the whole person he sees, and love the person he loves? If we take their perspective, or Hashem's for that matter, we'd be smiling all day, sick or healthy.

    let's all work on that!
    xxxxooo
    Dev

    forgive the public comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw your title, I totally related to it, but when I read your post, I realize that I come at it from a completely different angle....

    Maybe I should post a parallel post...

    (no energy for it now, but maybe in the future.....)

    ReplyDelete