Friday, May 8, 2020

Post-op day three

It hurts a lot more than I was led to believe. Wow.
But I have a new hip. Hopefully the pain will go down quickly. But many people said that the pain is minimal and the benefits outweigh the initial pain.... I'm counting on that!

The hospital stay was fine. I went to a private hospital where there are no Corona patients, and that was the right decision. The nurses were so nice, except one who got mad at me for not wearing my mask. You see, what happened was that after I got out of the operation, I immediately had a sneezing and stuffy nose cold. It's freezing in the O.R., and I got a snuffle from that. I was sneezing non-stop, and I couldn't keep my mask on. I had a shared room, and they got annoyed with me for sneezing and not wearing a mask, so they transferred me to a private room. Oh, the shame. Snoring lady was then on her own. :) So I had a private room and that was nice. I still didn't sleep much, who does in hospitals? But I had a quiet night at least. I went home the next day. My oldest son who is in the army got a 36 hour leave because of my surgery, so it was great to see him and his lovely wife. Too short a visit, but a treat nonetheless.

I had this surgery under local anesthesia (spinal block) and a "twilight sleep", and it was a very good combination. I highly recommend it, actually, if it is an option. I don't have that medicine from the general anesthesia in me, and the spinal block took it's time wearing off, so I had good pain relief after surgery. I think it's a healthier option. I was worried I'd wake up, but no way. It was good.

The pain started pretty much as soon as the spinal wore off, though, obviously. I was home by then, walking on a walker. It is quite painful, and I've gone through trial and error with pain meds, but in the end what the doctor recommended is what is working...today. I didn't add anything to the mix and my pain is less today. I mean, it has to get less eventually, right? Today I am three days after surgery...not a lot of time. I have to be patient.

I truly truly hope this is my last surgery. It is so hard. I mean, I know my left hip may need a replacement at some point too, but Hashem can preform miracles and make that not happen, right? I don't have to think about that.

Soon I'll be out of the post-op infection window-- around four or five days after surgery. That will be another level of relief. I've been keeping close tabs on my symptoms, and the pain is not infection, it's regular post-op pain.

I just don't ever want to go through another surgery. Never. Please G-d. It's just so, so hard.
The kids have been great, though. Last night Azriel made me sushi because I said I was in the mood for it! And he came up here and ate with me, that was really lovely. He's such a great kid, B"H.

Just no more surgeries. Amen.

1 comment :