Thursday, May 7, 2009

My doctor finally called today

The call from Ichilov hospital finally came this morning. Again, 7:15 am, but this time I was ready. After I saw the number that was showing up on my cell phone, I realized that I had seen the number before with a few missed calls with same number. One was recorded on May 4th, and one May 5th. I didn't know what the numbers were because when I had redialed it at the time, it didn't accept incoming calls. Mystery solved. And a few more points for Prof Bikels that he indeed had tried before. Too bad he didn't leave a message for me, then, though.

He said there are two things going on; one that may be chronic pain forever, and the other he hopes to be able to help me with. The first issue is that the ducts who's purpose is carrying the flow of sinovial fluid around the hip joint are all irritated and inflamed. Everywhere there was surgery (all around Gapey as well as down my thigh where the lipoma was extracted) has this phenomenon, and nothing can be done about it. He said it may eventually get better, may not. He also said it could indeed cause the pain I am experiencing.

The other thing which Prof Bikels said he hopes to be able to help with is the growth/tumor thing. He said it is not connected to the sinovial fluid problem. (I don't go for that, actually. I believe that it is all connected. Not connected would be if it was in my wrist or something. Same area of trauma, all connected, you know?)

Anyway, he scheduled a biopsy for that growth on May 20th (two weeks). He said it should be an easy procedure using only local anesthesia, and needle puncture biopsy. He'll give me antibiotics for a few days beforehand, through the procedure. I'll be home the same afternoon. I have to show up there at 6:45 am. What's up with these guys? Don't they ever sleep? It's at Ichilov hospital, of course, and that is in Tel Aviv. I'll either take a 5:30 am train from Be'er Sheva to get there on time, or maybe sleep over in Modi'in at my SIL's place if we go together the next day. We'll see how that goes. It's not actually the best timing as far as my social schedule goes (which is usually quite empty, mind you...). It just happens that that same evening we have a very special Bat-Mitzvah celebration to go to. It is for the daughter of my very close, loving friend Miriam. I hope that I'll be in condition to show up at least. I don't expect to dance, of course, after having the biposy the same day, but I hope I can just be there and celebrate the important life stage and simcha (joyous occasion) with them and all our friends from near and far.
I won't push it if I am too worn out or feeling un-well, but here's hoping. Prof Bikels did ask if it is a suitable time, since he took the liberty of scheduling it himself. I asked when the next time would be if it wasn't suitable for me, and he said not until the end of June. Of course, I took the one in two weeks. This has dragged on for so long. Even Miriam completely understands that I took the appointment.

So there we are. I'm feeling better today, and I know it's because there is a direction again. Anyone out there ever had a needle biopsy with local anesthetic? I plan to ask my NF list also. I am curious to know about it from people who had it. Anyone?

1 comment :

  1. i did and it's really like getting a shot, only takes longer - remember my story with eliav after his birth ? it's more your worry about the results. put your energy into believing you are in good hands; you're a pro at this part already !
    בשורות טובות
    shabat shalom - shlomit

    ReplyDelete