Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Taking the good with the difficult

I slept almost all day today...

Yesterday was a busy day, and I was completely and profoundly wiped out by the end. It went like this:

(This is with me driving myself everywhere- that is a big part of the problem, taxing my hip so much. Still looking for a good automatic car at the right price to buy.)

* Morning from 10-11:15 ish I met a good friend for a semi-regular coffee date.
* 11:30- 12:30 hydrotherapy at Soroka, which is getting to be also very taxing, but PT isn't supposed to be easy.
* Ran an errand after that, and got home at 1:30.
* 3:30 (after eating, but not having a rest) went to the medical clinic to have my pre-op X-rays taken. Very painful- they put my leg in positions it doesn't go in, and took the X-ray while I was trying to do labor-breathing through the pain.
* Got home at 5:30 with X-ray disk in hand, fell into the couch in the living room and didn't move until I had to, at 6:45, to get ready to play the benefit concert last night.
* Requested Robert to drive me to the concert- my leg was just done. Thankfully he did, but there was a lot of walking, with my cane and my horn, across the campus of Ben Gurion University to get to the concert hall.
* Played the rehearsal, then the concert. There were all the top notch doctors and coordinators of the Epilepsy center in Soroka there. There was a slide show of this 5 year old girl, showing her plight, and explaining her severe epilepsy, which does not respond to regular medications. It showed her as a small baby after brain surgeries, with a huge turban on her head with many wires coming out the top of it. Very powerful. The donations I received from people to give over were very appreciated. The coordinators of the concert were very moved by donations from people who weren't actually attending the concert. Thanks, BC, IH, M & D. The receipts will come to me in the mail for all of you.
* The concert was long because of all the speeches, but it was really special. The soloists were phenomenal. The father of the child is a wonderful trumpet player, and he even played one of his own original compositions. At the end, he and his wife, also a trumpet player, played a Vivaldi double trumpet concertante, and it was so great! So enjoyable for me.

[But you know what? The bathrooms there are all the way down two long flights of stairs. No elevator option. You never realize how un-handicapped friendly places are until you start looking.]

I got home by a ride from someone in the orchestra. But, he didn't tell me his car is on the complete other side of the parking lot, and didn't think to bring the car around (nor did I think of asking). I was in so much pain by that time, it took me a long time to get across the lot.

I got home, took pain meds, got to sleep, and got up this morning to check out a car that Robert had just test driven; he brought it (and it's owner) to the house for me to check. I got up, checked out the car, then went straight back to bed. I cancelled my gym work-out, and then cancelled going to Dorit for my lymphatic massage/ reflexology treatment. Going to Dorit means a half hour drive each way, and it was simply impossible for me.

I went back to sleep until..... 4:30pm. It is 8:20pm now, and I plan to go back to sleep very soon. I am so completely wiped out. I'm happy to have spent awake time with the children, though. Dinner and bed time- quality time. Thank Gd.

No comments :

Post a Comment