Saturday, October 10, 2009

I danced today

Well, since my last post, and since the wonderful road trip we had on Wednesday, I've basically been in bed. Sleeping about 50-60% of the day, believe it or not. Dizzy just standing for a few minutes. So, I just kept getting back into bed... wouldn't you? I'm totally off prescription pain meds, but my body is doing some heavy duty recovering.

Friday came, and again, just getting dressed and (did I even dress? I don't remember, I stay in my robe a lot) getting around the house, being with kids a bit, and I was asleep on my feet. I had to rest, no doubt about that. And Robert was in a really hard way after an almost sleepless night, wondering if the emergency surgery his father just had will be the end of him. It was a long, emotional night, but this time, his father pulled through, thank Gd. He remains, however, in the ICU, intubated for his fourth week straight.

So, we called for the babysitter. She couldn't come right away, so I called another friend for help who's daughter used to be our steady babysitter. She, too wasn't available, but my friend talked one of her sons into coming over. That was so great. This is the same friend who has brought over her amazing home-made challot every Shabbat now for a month, bless her soul.

So, we had help with the kids, and Robert & I both just *crashed*. When I woke up, it was almost Shabbat (coinciding with the holiday of Simchat Torah), and as far as I knew, we had no food prepared.

I asked my husband about food... and found out that a friend with an extraordinary sense for "the other" had us on her radar. Her husband, again (for a few weeks in a row), walked into our house with about six different cooked dishes, and her famous home-made ice cream. I cannot even begin to express my gratitude for her generosity. Not to mention her clairvoyance.

Today, Shabbat, I woke up fairly early. I felt capable of getting out of bed. I dressed in Shabbat clothes, and then got a bit dizzy. Shifra was home with me, and she and I shared a glass of juice together, and a few fruits. I felt better. Robert came home from shul, he came to ask if I wanted to join him. He came to take me there, in the wheelchair.

I got to shul, and I danced. I danced with Shifra, danced with my dear friends, and then with Azriel on my back, together with his stuffed toy Torah. I felt alive, I felt happy. I felt gratitude for life, and for the gift of being able to praise Hashem. Then I went home before shul was actually over, with two wonderful women pushing my chair, accompanying me home. I got into bed; light headed, some roving anxiety, but grateful. I had just danced!

4 comments :

  1. Thank you God for your healing touch on Sarah. Enjoy today Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me happy. You slept when you needed to, you danced when you wanted to. Your friends are beyond wonderful.Dad's stable after his surgery. Sometimes life is just good. Love, Rivka

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're still dancing today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what a great dancer you are!
    Love, Miriam

    ReplyDelete