Sunday, November 22, 2009

Starting my book

As soon as I read the forwarded email from my friend MG today, my brain synapses started to fire all together (in harmony, that is, not cacophony). MG is a writer, a poet, and she is on a mail list for a writer's group she was involved with once.

The email was an invitation to a writer's workshop for women. It is a three day workshop, located in the high hills of "Har Cana'an" (Cananite mountain) in Tzfat (northern Israel, where things are green and lush). It is hosted by a female writer, accomplished in her own right. She will accept 8 women.

Immediately I called the woman who is leading the group. I told her about myself, my blogging, my desire to start a book and my frustrations with reading my own history. I told her that my material is prety traumatic, and I still feel raw when I read it. I explained how I really want to start this book. I know it is my healing path.

We had a pleasant conversation (I wonder if she knew I was crying for parts of it; I was trying to cover it up). She said that it sounds like exactly what I may need, and she explained some brief techniques that may help me. She, herself, has Multiple Sclerosis, so she knows about medical traumas.

I want to go. I feel it in my bones. Here is some brief info:

Who: Serious women writers in Israel who need or want significant blocks of time to work on a project as well as inspiration and support
What: A uniquely balanced writing retreat in a kosher home, B & B style, all inclusive!
Where: Tzfat, Israel
When: Sunday, November 29, at 3 pm through Tuesday, December 1, at 2 pm
Why: To nurture the serious writer who wants to have a productive writing experience

So, I want to do lots to try and make this happen. First of all, I have to try to reschedule my follow-up appointment with Prof. Meller. I was supposed to go to him (at Ichilov hospital in Tel Aviv) a month ago, but the surprise appendicitis surgery got in the way. My leg hurts a fair amount these days, and it has been three months since the arthroscopy. I know I have to see him. Also the PT hurts a lot, and I want to make sure the physiotherapist is doing it right. I haven't seen Prof Meller since he took the staples out a week after the surgery. Anyway, I am supposed to go there on Dec. 1st. I hope I can reschedule. I called his office already today, left a message, but didn't hear back yet. I'll try again tomorrow. I feel that if I can reschedule that, and I can get babysitting worked out for two days, I can go. I am going to work hard on my end with the logistics, and pray that the "stars all line up" (and Who lines up the stars?) so I can do this workshop. Oh, and Robert leaves for the States on the 2nd of December. We'd have about 10 hours together from when I get back to when he'd leave. *BUT*, he would be home nights with the kids for those days.

A writer's retreat in English for women, three days before Robert leaves [to be gone for two weeks], up north in the hills, fresh air and trees, and a supportive, nurturing environment to write. I really hope I'll be there. Let's all put our powers together and "will it" to happen, OK? (Oh, and while we're at it, we'll also need to "will" some extra money to fly out of a hole in the ground to cover this, OK?)

1 comment :