Thursday, February 18, 2010

12 hour day in Soroka

OK, my friend and her baby are not in imminent danger, thankfully. She is hospitalized, and hopefully the issues will work themselves out.

In the meantime, I am-- wow- so exhausted. So why am I at the computer? I read my last post, and realized that the end was a bit too scary to leave open-ended, right? I mean, didn't you wonder what is up with that? So that's why I came back to the computer. And to wind down a bit, also. I spent almost all day and most of the night at the hospital. Granted, it is very different to be in the birthing ward than it is to be in the surgical wing. I spent 6 hours in the surgical wing with Wazi, and ... lemmie think...6 hours in the birthing wing. Holy cow- seeing that in writing is crazy. But that is me.

And here is me. I am OK with it. I mean, yeah, I have a ton of pain now, and I got very tired, but the option is, ...what-- sleep more. OK, that is great. I do need that, and my body knows it and tells me. But if I never made any active decisions, then what would there be? A lot of resting and sleep, and I would still have pain. It doesn't change, the pain. Sometimes worse, sometimes a bit better, but it never goes away. So there I am. Sometimes it rules over me, and sometimes I can tame it enough to push myself. That's just how it is.

Today I also gave in the referrals to two different pain clinics, and I'll see which one gives me an appointment first. They both tell me that I may get an appointment within a month, or it could be as much as 8 months. The doctors who look at the referrals make that decision. My doctor said she couldn't move it along at all by adding the word "urgent" on it. She said everyone is urgent, they are all in pain.

So I took action today and gave it two two clinics (one here in Soroka and one in Rechovot in Kaplan hospital). In Soroka I hand delivered it, I was right there-- the pain clinic entrance is right next to the outpatient surgical ward. The other one I faxed, and confirmed that it got there. Let's hope for the best.

I am going to sleep now. Tomorrow is already a full day.

3 comments :

  1. Sarah,
    It is a tremendous wonderful fact that despite your constant physical pain you are giving, giving to your son, to your friend, even clients this week. Kol Hakavod! Don't forget to acknowledge yourself for reaching out beyond your own difficult situation to help others, and even writing about it which inspires us readers! Thank you!
    love,Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still up, catching up....

    thinking of you all the time!

    ReplyDelete