Monday, February 8, 2010

HOME

Turns out we didn't have any time to relax from the 4-hour expected layover in Philadelphia. I wanted to get back on line, but it wasn't a possibility. Our flight to Philly from LaGuardia was late (snow in Philly), and by the time we got a golf-cart car to transport us, it was too close to our international flight to open up the laptop again. We had to go through all the international security rigmarole, and with our family that can take close to 45 minutes. (everyone's carry-ons, shoes, coats, belts, computers, dumping water, Shifra demanding to put her shoes back on in the middle of the floor where everyone had to walk, Azriel not understanding that he had a metal toy in his little pocket, then wasn't ready to hand it over to the x-ray bin... you get the picture...)

Well, we are home. The transportation picture of the trip went like this:

(all with 14 pieces of luggage: 6 check-ins, 6 carry-ons, and 2 computer bags)
  • 2 taxis from home in Be'er Sheva to the train.
  • changing for 2 trains to the airport.
  • International flight to Philadelphia international airport.
  • Philadelphia flight to RDU airport (Raleigh-Durham in NC).
  • airport transport to rental car at RDU.
  • Get van, pile in, go to grandpa's house.
  • Unload, unpack completely in my FIL's house in Chapel hill, get comfy for a 10-day stay.
  • Three days later repack everything, load up the rental van and drive 12 hours to New York.
(just to get the point across-- it was 11+ hours from Israel to America, and another 12 hour trip by car 3 days later. Point made.)
  • Arrive in NY at 2:45 am at my parent's house. Children awake and excited to see their grandparents.
  • Bury my father-in-law, may his memory be for a blessing, early the next morning (that morning, really).
  • The following morning, completely pack up everything *again*, and drive that same rental van to Brooklyn, to the house we stayed at the whole rest of the week.
  • Sunday (yesterday, right??): pack up everything again...that would be the 4th time we (I, mostly- Robert was occupied with his father, and then sitting shiva) packed up everything-- 12 pieces of luggage-- right?
  • OK, then there was the van from the Brooklyn house to the airport (Israeli driver!).
  • The trip from LaGuardia to Philly.
  • Philly to Tel Aviv.
  • Two trains again from the airport to Be'er Sheva.
  • Two taxis from the train station to our house.
  • Home Sweet Home. Baruch Hashem.
After a half hour or so I went back out (Kermit started right up!) to pick up Emma from my friend's house who was taking care of her.
It was a very exciting reunion, indeed. Her tail was spinning like a helicopter about to take off, and she snortled and spun around many times for me. She'd have jumped through hoops if I'd had some.

So we are home, kids are showered and in bed, I am back on line, and am so happy to be back to my great bed! (The one in Brooklyn was as hard as a board-- but the family's hospitality was so tremendous and warm, and the times so difficult, that physical comfort stuff was just not able to fit into the picture.)

It was a really really really hard 10 days. But we did it. I did it. I did so much that I never thought I would be able to handle. But I did. But boy was it hard.
And boy am I s o r e.
And I am Wiped Out.
And still sad about the passing of my FIL, and I'm very sad for Robert. He has a year of mourning now in front of him, for the second time in his life.

This was such an intense trip.
Now can we have a little calm times, please, oh Master of the Universe?

2 comments :