Monday, February 8, 2010

The sun is setting in LaGuardia airport

I haven't had internet all week!!!!!
What a challenge, indeed.

It was so challenging, in fact, that I decided to splurge on airport internet. We have a few waiting times before we get on the Israel flight tonight so I got wireless internet for a day in every airport in America.

So, hi. Yes, I am alive. We all are, thank Gd. We miss my father in law already-- leaving the country where he is buried is another level of goodbye.

But we are all so ready to come home. (We almost couldn't because of the snow yesterday, but our flights didn't get canceled.)

Where to start? So much to say, and so many times I wanted to write, but had no internet. I could've written just on the word program to transfer it to internet later, but I somehow needed that "in real time" thing to get going.

So, after the freezing cold funeral, where all our tears froze on our cheeks, we went to start the week of "shiva" (check here to understand what that means). Robert and his three brothers stayed all week in Brooklyn in the oldest brother, Michael's apartment. The children and I went to my parents house. We stayed there one night, then we resettled ourselves in Brooklyn, near Michael's apartment, at the house of generous friends of his who hosted us all week.

Each day we spent time with Robert & his brothers at the shiva, then we also tried to do something fun for part of the day (without Robert, of course. He had to stay inside sitting shiva all week, without leaving the apartment.) One day we went to the Brooklyn children's museum. It was good to go together with my sis-in-law and niece & nephew on this outing. They had flown from Israel when they found out about Dolph's passing. It is a wonderful museum, enjoyed by all.

The next day the plan was to go to the Coney Island aquarium. We did that, but later in the afternoon, after I went to a local doctor to check out a suspicion of a blood clot in my leg. I was given the all clear-- $250.00 later. (Our insurance should reimburse us for that.) I had a huge bruise on my thigh with red dots in the middle, and a lump under it. It also hurt like heck. But it is just a bruise that I got at some point without feeling it; the leg is numb to the touch. Anyway, the doctor (Israeli!) said he is sure it's not a blood clot, and then we went to the aquarium.

It was gorgeous. Wonderful aquarium.

Oh great! - boarding now...I'll get on again in Philly at our layover.

2 comments :

  1. So glad you see your post. I was wondering how you were doing. It sounds like you are all doing well in spite of the long trip and grief you've been experiencing. I hope you have a good rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we're looking forward to talking to you in person. Travel home safely!
    Love, the Greens

    ReplyDelete