Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Neurologist

I went to a neurologist today about my migraines. I feel like it was a big accomplishment-- I had been avoiding it. Lord knows I don't need to add more doctors' appointments or referrals to my list, and how much I really dislike meeting new doctors and going through it all. But the migraines have been getting more severe, and more frequent, so I made the move.

She was a dummy. I won't be returning to her, but at least she gave me a referral for a CT scan. That will rule out a tumor (Gd forbid), and then I'll have the results to take to a real thorough doctor and try to find a reason and/or solution to the migraines.

She started telling me about diet, exercise, keeping normal sleeping hours, etc. I said to her that I am aware of all that, and do it all to the best of my ability. I said I do hydrotherapy once a week and training twice a week, and she said "why? What is the hydro for?" Turns out she didn't even read my referral. Had no idea about any of what I've been through. Good job, doc.

I told her that I eat very healthily and take lots of vitamins and supplements. She asked me which ones, and I told her. Later in the conversation she said she'll put me on three days of Prednisone (steroids) before the CT scan to make sure I won't be allergic to the iodine in the infusion. But that was after I told her I have had CT scans with iodine contrast before with no problem, and I also take iodine supplements every day. I told her I don't need the steroids before the CT to prevent an allergic reaction. I am not allergic. Then she wrote a prescription for the steroids! Duh!!!

Anyway, I'll do the CT, then get a referral for a good neurologist.

In the meantime, I am also pursuing the plan to fix my hernia, and information gathering about the gyn surgery. I kind of want to have it all done privately. I assume you can figure out why; Soroka is not high up on my list of Places To Plan Surgery. The emergency appendectomy experience was a good reminder of that.

(although Robert thinks that objectively there is nothing wrong with Soroka. It's just a normal hospital with normal statistics... I just happened to be one of them. I don't agree, though. Their statistics are not the same as other Israeli hospitals, but other Israeli hospitals also serve different populations. Here in the South, there are types of populations that the center of the country doesn't have as much of).


Anyway, I have no idea how to go about finding the right person and going private for this procedure. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow and I'm going to discuss it with her.

All of my after-birth mommies are taken care of, my personal obligations finished ...and rehearsals with the orchestra start this week. Looking forward. :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment