Thursday, June 2, 2022

The Good Fairy with pain?

I played the part of the Good Fairy in a play in third grade, and I had a solo song I had to sing which I stressed over for weeks before the production. I still remember that song! It was about waving your magic wand.... "You just start waving your magic wand, waving your magic wand, wave your wand with me and you'll see everything will be alright!" I right now at this moment have the exact tune running through my head. Some things we never forget.

I'm telling you about this because someone waved a magic wand- maybe my regular doctor- with regards to my MRI. When I first asked for the referral from my health clinic, based on the recommendation of the New York surgeon, the answer I got the next day was that I needed a recommendation from an Israeli surgeon, an American one wouldn't do. I thought 'what a bother, I don't have an Israeli surgeon to ask'. My doctor in the US for a well-deserved vacation, but she told me I can Whatsapp her if I needed anything. So, I did. I told her that they are not accepting the New York recommendation, and can she help me somehow. I don't know, but she may have waved her magic wand, because the very next day I got the approval from the Health fund that they will pay for the MRI, with the recommendation 'as is'. Great. So now I am waiting to hear back from the MRI company to give me a date. It will surely be quite a bit in the future, and I'll have to work on getting it at a closer time. We're getting there.

In the meantime I am continuing with life as best as possible. I'm still doing the gold-smithing jewelry-making every day. We have a lovely workshop that engaged couples come in and we make their rings together with them. We (I) "teach" them what to do with our machines and fire burnishers, and they take part in the making of their rings. Sometimes the man works on the woman's ring, sometimes the opposite, sometimes they work on their own rings. It's a really nice workshop, and I enjoy getting to know new couples a few times a week. I always work it into our conversations somehow that I am also a doula... for their next stage in life after the wedding. :) So if anyone out here in blog land knows of an engaged couple that may be interested in doing this, we are booked months in advance, but you can give them my number or email.

I am still going to the gym three times a week, and feel pretty strong regardless of having pain, thank Gd. I just could do without the pain. I managed to go to an out-of-town party last night; the son of good friends of ours got engaged, mazal tov! That was fun, but I was in a lot of pain by the time I crawled into bed. Then today I had physical therapy and it hurt a lot, and I got some new exercises to do.

We are coming up on the holiday of Shavu'ot. It is the holiday that the Jews, wandering in the desert, came to Mount Sinai and received the Torah. It is also the holiday of dairy, lasagna, cheesecake, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, and....well, I made that part up, but it is famous for eating dairy. It comes this year on the heels of Shabbat going out. So we have a lot of cooking to do tomorrow for Shabbat as well as Shavu'ot. We have staying with us still Robert's brother Larry, and our friend Ayala who just returned from six months in Nepal and India. So, full house again. The Klein hotel is active.

Things are stable in an unstable pain kind of way. I am grateful for what is.

3 comments :

  1. Couples making their own rings sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some how you are not only learning to live with constant pain it sounds like ypu are normalizing it even finding joy which is a miracle on to itself . Unbelievable how strong ypu are! Never the less praying this is the not new normal and this surgeon will get ypu out of this pain

    ReplyDelete